homeless. hungry. please help.

>> February 7, 2012

They’re at certain intersections. Some of them even start to look familiar.
"Homeless"
"Hungry"
"Anything Appreciated"
"Please Help"

If you’re like me, your mind struggles between thinking, ‘I wonder how much they rake in this way?’ to ‘What if this person is here in true need, waiting on me to be a real Christian?” Or we may wonder how they come to stand there, without much thought to pride, an advertisement to their desperation.

In many ways, we as Christians should be able to identify with the homeless. Whether we like it or not…we’re all the same.

Homeless
Scripture continuously reminds us that this world is not our home. Hebrews 13:14 “For here we have no continuing city, but we seek the one to come.” And Hebrews 11:16 “But now they desire a better, that is, a heavenly country. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for He has prepared a city for them.”

We have sung it since we were young, “This world is not my home, I’m just a passing through. My treasures are laid up, somewhere beyond the blue…” Let our behavior dictate that this world had no hold on us, our treasure is banked someplace else, our eyes fixed on a heavenly destination.

Hungry
Each soul has that hunger and thirst that only a relationship with Christ can fill. Psalm 63:1: “O God, You are my God; early will I seek You; my soul thirsts for You; my flesh longs for You in a dry and thirsty land where there is no water.” It has been described as “the hunger of the man who is starving for food, and the thirst of the man who will die unless he drinks." What an expression of the kind of desire we should have to obtain righteousness!

Psalm 42:1-2: “As the deer pants for the water brooks, so pants my soul for You, O God. My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When shall I come and appear before God!” Psalm 63:1: “O God, You are my God; early will I seek You; my soul thirsts for You; my flesh longs for You in a dry and thirsty land where there is no water.”

Please Help
Who reading this doesn’t desperately need divine help? Maybe with a decision you have to make, maybe with your relationships or job, maybe with bad habits or massive struggles. Maybe you need His help just to make it through the day!

No matter how self sufficient we like to feel, how much we think we’ve got it all figured out… We ALL need help to resist temptation and to live a godly life. Doing the right thing doesn’t always come easy. Paul exclaimed in Romans 7:18 “For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh) nothing good dwells; for to will is present with me, but how to perform what is good I do not find.” God’s power is available to us. We must simply ask. He’s there for you, no matter how big or small your need.

He doesn’t judge how many times you’ve asked, or what your sign says. He offers, “Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” Matthew 11:28-30.

So here I am Lord, with my sign “Homeless, Hungry, Please Help.”

Share
© CLUTCH, 2009-2011 unless otherwise sourced.
Use allowed by express written permission only.
Tweets, trackbacks, and link sharing encouraged.

1 comments:

Unknown May 24, 2012 at 7:54 PM  

but... should you give to them then?

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

FACEBOOK FANS

CLUTCHtalk on Facebook

GET YOUR FAN BUTTON


Copy and Paste Code

READERS

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP