mother blessings

>> June 15, 2009

I was at a baby shower for a church member when another church member approached me and asked when my shower would be (pregnant with twins due in Aug.) I told her that I wasn't really into showers and would prefer not to have one. What I really wanted to say was, "Can I plan my own mother blessing?" Yeah, fat chance.

More than toilet-paper-around-belly games and guessing baby food flavors, I would love a gathering where mothers share their advice about raising daughters, where they share their stories of how their mothers raised them, where there are meaningful prayers for the labor and delivery, where women bond in an atmosphere of love and support. Since I can't plan my own blessing, I'll just hang tight until I can do this for someone else...

Being a PW, you may be asked (directly or indirectly) to host a baby shower or this might be something you love volunteering to do for the women in your church. If creating a more meaningful event to honor the mom-to-be and baby appeals to you, here are some tips from a fellow PW, who is also a doula in Maryland.

Deidre has hosted and participated in several mother blessings. In this video she gives great examples on what to do, how to plan the event and how understanding what mother blessings are all about.




Resources:
http://www.blessingwaybook.com/
http://www.naturalbirthandbabycare.com/blessingway.html

2 comments:

Nikki June 19, 2009 at 12:41 PM  

I actually had my friends throw me exactly the shower you describe -all three times! It can happen. Make sure those who know your heart (and therefore don't come with judgment) are in charge. My "mother blessings" were awesome memories and I treasure them and the friends who threw them. Hang in there, girl! And, how close do you live? I'll throw one for you!

dpm June 19, 2009 at 2:43 PM  

you're too sweet, Nikki. Unfortunately, we're on opposite sides of the country... :) 'cause I sure would take you up on your offer!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

FACEBOOK FANS

CLUTCHtalk on Facebook

GET YOUR FAN BUTTON


Copy and Paste Code

READERS

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP