SURVIVAL TIP #3

>> November 17, 2010

TIP #3: Cultivate the art of being warm and friendly to all, while still keeping family information private.


Being friendly and approachable doesn't mean you have to spill your guts.

Remember that everyone else has another best friend, and learn to share only what you're comfortable being public knowledge.


This doesn't mean you're being secretive, just practicing discretion. Veronica talks about setting public, private and personal boundaries in this post.

If you take a few months to get to know people first, you'll be more free to accept ministry roles that you are passionate about and gifted in.

Got a survival tip that someone shared with you, or that you learned along the way? Send it in and we'll share it: clutchtalk [at] gmail [dot] com.

Share
© CLUTCH, 2009-2010 unless otherwise sourced.
Use allowed by express written permission only.
Tweets, trackbacks, and link sharing encouraged.

5 comments:

UnfinishedMom November 17, 2010 at 9:09 AM  

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the link to the boundaries post didn't work for me. I hope it's just me.

Veronica Brown November 17, 2010 at 3:33 PM  

http://clutchtalk.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2010-11-05T02%3A52%3A00-04%3A00&max-results=5

@UnfinishedMom ~ thanks for telling us; try here, maybe this will work.

Veronica

skaMEDIA November 23, 2010 at 2:06 PM  

@ Unfinished Mom: I've updated the link in the post as well. Hope it works for you now!

Julie,  May 29, 2011 at 5:01 AM  

I am a new PW. I work full time, at a very hard and stressful job working more than 60Hours-70hours a week. I really struggle to ALWAYS have a happy upbeat attitude. I feel like I can not do it all. I have a job that I serve in and Church work you serve. I feel like all I do it SERVE others all day. I am new here and really do not have friends yet. I barely can handle just attending church and saying a few hellos on the way out. I read this and started tearing up feeling guilty for not being more approachable. Any advice on how to handle the stress?

skaMEDIA June 16, 2011 at 8:23 PM  

Julie, my heart goes out to you! I started life as a PW in much the same way. And I want to comfort your sense of guilt here! Don't beat yourself up for being so busy and overwhelmed! :) First of all, is there anything in your life that could be reduced/simplified to make things a little less stressful? Second, being approachable is more about your spirit and attitude than about wearing yourself out. If all you can do is show up and smile, then just show up and smile. It takes a year or two usually to start getting comfortable and making new friends in a church. And it's really tough with you're the PW and you feel all this extra stress and pressure! Do you have other PW friends locally or even far away that you can talk to or connect with? If not, shoot me an email at sarahasaftei (at) gmail (dot) com, and I'll be happy to pray/talk/listen!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

FACEBOOK FANS

CLUTCHtalk on Facebook

GET YOUR FAN BUTTON


Copy and Paste Code

READERS

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP