the flip side of the research

>> January 25, 2010



I recently came across this fascinating research on Ed Stetzer's blog. It described how much time Protestant pastors spend in a typical week on various aspects of life, including work and family life. I wonder what you think of it. Where does your PH fall in the spectrum? Is the bulk of his time really spent with his family? Is there something missing? Online time, maybe?

Just last night, I was making an ... observation... to my PH that even though he's here (@ home) in bodily form, he's not necessarily HERE. The phone is always ringing, or he's attending to church business via email or his mind is on all of the church things that need to get done. I wasn't complaining, really. I understand. But I wonder how many of these pastors, who say they're with family, are really working from home.

But that wasn't really the point of the study, really... Here's what they say:
Protestant pastors in America are working long hours, sometimes at the expense of relationships with church members, prospects, family and even the Lord.

A telephone survey of more than 1,000 senior pastors indicated a full 65 percent of them work 50 or more hours a week – with 8 percent saying they work 70 or more hours. Meetings and electronic correspondence consume large amounts of time for many ministers, while counseling, visitation, family time, prayer and personal devotions suffer in too many cases.

Read more...


I would love to hear your thoughts. What would your PHs graph look like?

© CLUTCH, 2010 unless otherwise sourced.
Use allowed by express written permission only.
Tweets, trackbacks, and link sharing encouraged.


2 comments:

Sarah @ CLUTCH January 25, 2010 at 4:37 PM  

Wow. That's pretty different than my PH. He spends far more time visiting, giving bible studies, counseling, handling emails/phone calls, and preparing sermons.

Anonymous,  January 26, 2010 at 3:40 AM  

I'm so addicted to your blog now that I have found it...thanks for doing this ladies!! I definitely appreciate your hard work!! I know there are tons of other PW's that benefit from it as well.

My husband is a youth pastor, so most of his time is spent on campus, doing bible studies/life groups, phone calls and tons of text messages as well as sermon prep. I agree that depending on the season, sometimes he can't help but be in work mode even when he is home.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

FACEBOOK FANS

CLUTCHtalk on Facebook

GET YOUR FAN BUTTON


Copy and Paste Code

READERS

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP