my first 1/2 marathon

>> May 17, 2010

I'm a runner.

It's a relatively new thing for me; I started for the first time last year. Since then I've run a 5K and a 5.7 mile marathon relay leg. I'm not fast, but I'm gettting faster. Just a couple of weeks ago I ran my first 1/2 marathon! 13.1 miles! From the girl who somehow got away without even running a mile in high school, this is big!

My experience in this 1/2 marathon was such a metaphor for life! Some quick background info... The day before I ran, my PH preached about Gideon. About how God stripped away all the "support" Gideon had (all those soldiers He filtered out to leave him with only 300 against 132,000) so the credit for the victory could be given 100% back to God. It was to help me in the middle of my race the next day.

I trained well for the past 2 months and really felt strong going into this. I had no doubt that I could do it. And I felt that I would be able to do it faster than before. I felt pretty confident. But about halfway through, I pushed up a hill and it was all downhill from there! And I don't mean elevation. Somehow I messed up the tendons in my left foot and suddenly I could hardly walk, much less run. I was ready to cry! (Actually I did.) For 3/4 of a mile I limped my way to where my PH and kids were waiting to cheer for me. I was afraid I was going to have to quit after I had worked so hard!

After I talked with them and decided to just keep going, as slow as I needed to, I limp-walked another mile or so. Then the song on my iPod encouraged me to try and run. It was one I put on my playlist just for variety and because the background beat was steady - Twila Paris's "Do I Trust You Lord?" The words really hit me... "Sometimes my little heart can't understand what's in your will, what's in your plan. Sometimes I'm tempted to ask you Why?... Do I trust you Lord?" and so on.

I realized that I had been stripped of my own strength (for whatever reason) and I had nothing to rely on now except what God could help me with. I proceeded to run the last 4 or so miles with pain in every step, finishing the 1/2 marathon in 2:40. And... I give all the glory to God!!

So, what does this have to do with everyday life?

Everything!

Do you feel confident that you have what it takes to meet the day? Do you figure you've got it all under control? Then, have you ever had everything fall apart? Life just unravels and you can't figure out why?

Maybe God is letting us be stripped of our confidence so that we learn to truly trust and rely on Him. He lets the bottom fall out so we have nowhere to look except to Him. We often want to give Him glory in our lives, but with our own plans and our own methods. That doesn't cut it! Especially in the pastor's home, we each have to learn to live so that we can't help but give God the glory because we've specifically depended on Him in each situation.

I really want to live the words in Proverbs 3:5,6. "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not onto your own understanding. In ALL your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your paths." Let's lean on Him for everything... before we twist our ankles or fall flat on our faces!

© CLUTCH, 2010 unless otherwise sourced.
Use allowed by express written permission only.
Tweets, trackbacks, and link sharing encouraged.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

FACEBOOK FANS

CLUTCHtalk on Facebook

GET YOUR FAN BUTTON


Copy and Paste Code

READERS

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP