families under fire

>> May 5, 2010

Do you ever feel like your family is under fire? Well, that’s because it is. Satan is attacking families, especially pastoral families. We, and the families in our churches, are battling financial stress, work pressures, infidelity and abuse. We are dealing with addictions, safety concerns, health problems and special needs. And probably the most pressing, but the most challenging, is raising our children in a difficult world.

Why does Satan target families? Because that is where it hurts. Because that is where we are most vulnerable. Because that is where he can be the most destructive. He knows that a family is where we build our society, where we develop our sense of self, and where we are affirmed and loved. A family is where we strengthen each other, where we transmit our values and faith, and where we shape the future. If our family life is hurting, it is hard to function successfully in other areas of our lives.

The Bible shares with us in Malachi 4:7:

“Behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet Before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the LORD. And he will turn The hearts of the fathers to the children, And the hearts of the children to their fathers, Lest I come and strike the earth with a curse.”

This text predicts family troubles and break downs at the end of time, but it also offers HOPE!

I am offering a series at our church, as part of an evangelistic series, entitled Families Living with Hope. We are focusing on strengthening and encouraging families. I thought I would share with you in my next several posts some of what I am sharing in my series. And hopefully it will help you in your own families first, but also in dealing with hurting families in your churches.


© CLUTCH, 2010 unless otherwise sourced.
Use allowed by express written permission only.
Tweets, trackbacks, and link sharing encouraged.

2 comments:

Anonymous,  May 5, 2010 at 9:22 PM  

Thanks so much for this. I often feel as though I have a bull's eye on my back -- the enemy constantly seems to attack me in different ways. But I know God is greater and has given us victory. Thank you for the reminder that we've got to keep each other (pastoral families) in prayer as we minister to families in our churches.

Anonymous,  May 6, 2010 at 12:45 PM  

This past year has been the hardest on our family yet: death of grandparent, wedding, deception regarding conception of grandson, daughter-in-law close to death at birth of grandson, estrangement, "normal" relationship expectations not met, pursuing reconciliation, next son graduating, depression, Satan's oppression, and the list goes on.
This year I have also learned the most about my Heavenly Father ever! He has met me in every circumstance with His faithfulness, mercy, grace and love. As I gain a bigger picture of Who He is, He grows my faith to match; but that usually takes alot of hurdles in life in which to trust Him and grow that faith.
"Satan is vanquished and Jesus is King!" I'm grateful He meets me right where I am, and isn't content to leave me there...He has the vision for who I will be and is bringing me along. I'm trying to remember that King Jesus has already conquered Satan and his schemes and is the Ultimate Victor.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

FACEBOOK FANS

CLUTCHtalk on Facebook

GET YOUR FAN BUTTON


Copy and Paste Code

READERS

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP