dear abigail::what about when gossip comes straight to me?

>> May 13, 2010

Dear Abigail,
I love to talk to people in our church, but it seems like often times they think that I need to know every detail about everyone else. People will complain about the last pastoral family, or fill me in on the latest scoop of other members' trials or scandals. 

I'm uncomfortable listening to gossip, but I don't want to be rude. I'd like to know how I can let people know that it's not okay to be gossip to me about others, without making them feel like I don't want to chat. 
 
It's really important to me to be trustworthy with the information I'm given, and I don't want to betray people's trust. How can I put a stop to all the gossipers without damaging my relationships?
~Desiring To Be Discreet
 
Dear Discreet,
Gossip isn't new to our generation. King Solomon wrote that "A gossip betrays a confidence, but a trustworthy [wo]man keeps a secret." (Proverbs 11:13
 
Paul wrote about people who know God but choose to keep on being evil - and yes, he calls gossip evil. He lumps gossip in with envy, murder, and deceit. (See Romans 1:29-32).  The Apostle John made it a point to deal with gossip straight on, you can read about it 3 John 1:9-11.

Try creating a standard answer that you can always fall back on when conversation turns into gossip. It might sound something like:
 
"Have you talked to ______ (the person in question) about this? Because I'm really not the person to help you with the situation. It would be better to just talk to so-and-so about it."

OR:

"You know, I've been really trying to make sure that I don't talk about anyone who isn't here to defend themselves, so if it's alright with you, can we change the subject?"

OR:

"I don't want to judge, but this sounds like gossip to me. It isn't my place to hear this, but maybe you should talk to them directly about how you feel!"

Whatever you choose to say, be kind yet firm. If they keep right on gossiping, then excuse yourself from the conversation and walk away. If they didn't mean to be gossiping, your statement will be a gentle rebuke and they should be happy to change the topic. And if they get mad at you even when you've been kind, that's okay too - it just shows their heart. 

If someone continues gossiping relentlessly, perhaps it needs to be a matter for your PH to deal with. He might make a personal visit, or take them to lunch, and help them see the damage that they are causing.

Some great scripture texts about gossip include: Proverbs 16:28, 18:8, 20:19, 26:20, 26:22; 2 Corinthians 12:20 and 1 Timothy 5:13.
~Abigail


© CLUTCH, 2010 unless otherwise sourced.
Use allowed by express written permission only.
Tweets, trackbacks, and link sharing encouraged.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

FACEBOOK FANS

CLUTCHtalk on Facebook

GET YOUR FAN BUTTON


Copy and Paste Code

READERS

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP