PMS: stay-at-home +

>> July 6, 2009


Name: Shane Schwichtenberg

Work set-up:
"In the beginning..." I was a school teacher. I taught special education in elementary schools as well as first grade. During my last year of teaching I gave birth to our first daughter. We decided that I should stay home with the baby. Daycare was too expensive and I was ready for the change. Plus staying home would provide me more opportunity to get involved at church (we had just moved to this location only a year before). Being a stay-at-home mom proved much harder than any classroom ever.

Now my husband and I have two daughters, ages 6 & 8. I am still at home and remain involved at church with women's ministry and leading music. Starting in college I worked at health clubs part-time teaching group exercise classes. I continue with that today. This fall I hope to teach more classes during the daytime while my kids are at school.

What are some of the advantages of your set-up?
I love the time I have during the day to meet with people. I lead a Bible study for moms in the morning, meet over lunch with women needing to talk and speak to other church groups about my journey with Christ. On days I'm not busy, my husband and I try to meet for lunch. It's helpful for us to connect during the day since he is often gone in the evenings.

What are some disadvantages?
I miss my outlet at my full-time job. It's an identity totally separate from church. However, working part-time does help. Also, financially we are struggling.

In what ways does your set-up affect (positively or negatively) your husband's ministry?
The congregation loves seeing me active. For whatever reason, people enjoy seeing their pastor's wife engaged and happy. I found my niche with both women's ministry and leading music. I've met some really great people and feel free to be me. My husband enjoys my participation at church just the same when he sees another church member getting involved. I wouldn't be able to do what I do if I worked full-time. It works for me, but I know it's not for every pastor's wife.

3 comments:

Anonymous,  July 7, 2009 at 12:26 AM  

Looking forward to seeing all the profiles this week! Noticed the link on my name was not working. So, if anyone's interested... here's my blog! ~Shane

Rachel July 7, 2009 at 2:04 PM  

that was great! I loved this post, good questions and great answers :)

Rachel July 7, 2009 at 2:04 PM  

that was great! I loved this post, good questions and great answers :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

FACEBOOK FANS

CLUTCHtalk on Facebook

GET YOUR FAN BUTTON


Copy and Paste Code

READERS

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP