mother in law. monster in law. mother in love.

>> November 22, 2011

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving and many of us will be spending time with our Mother in law or Monster in law or to some Mother in love. Thanksgiving is not a time for tension, tantrums and pandemonium. But truth be told, it happens all across the globe. Yes, in ministry families too. (gasp)

What type of mother in law do you have? Okay, just kidding, don't answer that on the internet. (laugh)

I have no idea where the differences start but at some point for the Daughter in law and Mother in law that don't hit it off it's important to remember two things to carry you through the holidays and time spent together; respect and limits.

I fall into the category of not hitting it off with my mother in law. (yes we are both Christians and love God) We have actually grown on each other over the last 15 years (13 years marriage, 2 years dating/engaged to her son) I would have to say we have each learned respect and limits.

Over the years our relationship has gotten much better truth be told. The story between her and I is rather lengthy and I would have to carefully craft my verbiage in my disclosure to prevent anyone from getting hurt, so I will save that for another post. Not to mention, it would probably be one sided. But just know that she's not a monster in law for the record and incase she ends up reading this. As a matter of fact, our relationship has so improved which probably has God factors included; I wish they lived closer so the boys could spend more time with them.

However, for the friends out there that will be under the same roof with a mother in law, sister in law, brother in law, or maybe a blood relative of your own remember these two words: respect and limits.

Examples of respect and limits look different for everyone as each of our family dynamics are different along with our personalities. What may be bold for one person is just regular for another. So with in your own life parameters, set up limits and plan respect so you can have a wonderful, joyous time. And remember the old school song "This joy, that I have the world did give it to me....This joy that I have the world didn't give it to me....This joy that I have the world didn't give it to me, the world didn't give it and the world can't take it away."

Guard your heart. Guard your peace. Plan with purpose.

Share
© CLUTCH, 2009-2011 unless otherwise sourced.
Use allowed by express written permission only.
Tweets, trackbacks, and link sharing encouraged.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

FACEBOOK FANS

CLUTCHtalk on Facebook

GET YOUR FAN BUTTON


Copy and Paste Code

READERS

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP