when the going gets..... lonely

>> February 8, 2010

Weekends are usually a big deal in for our pastor family. The night before church we usually have a small group in our home, or a bible study or something else oriented toward social and spiritual activity. 

We're up early to get to church before it's "on-time", and the first weekend of the month is always a potluck. 

BC (that's "before children" if you're wondering), I always traipsed along for whatever was happening, or if my PH had afternoon obligations, I'd make plans with friends. 

Now, however, there's a baby who needs his nap, and I'm the mommy who can hardly wait to get home and crash when church is over. 

The times, they are a-changin'...

But this last weekend, I'd made plans with several old friends to spend the afternoon together. The PH had committee meetings all afternoon and into the evening, and I was looking forward to relaxing with girlfriends at home while the baby napped.
Except that none of them were able to make it.

So I spent the whole afternoon by myself, pining away... Granted the extra nap was nice, but it was still a let down. 

And it got me thinking - what do other PW's do on lonely rainy afternoons?

How do you fill your time when your PH is busy on the days that other families usually spend together?

Do tell...
© CLUTCH, 2010 unless otherwise sourced.
Use allowed by express written permission only.
Tweets, trackbacks, and link sharing encouraged.

4 comments:

Teri Lynne Underwood February 8, 2010 at 10:28 AM  

We only have abt 3 hrs between the time we get home and the time we have to be back at church. About once a month DH will have a Sunday afternoon meeting but not too often. He is worship pastor ... so we are back at 4:00 for choir practice, etc. Usually, he naps (since he gets to the church by 6:30 for prayer & final preparations for the service) while DD is playing with neighborhood friends. I CHERISH Sunday afternoons ... it's my total downtime. I usually read or write notes to people who were not at church that morning or shared prayer requests. I TRY not to do anything "work" ... not even research or blog writing. I don't do laundry and sometimes even let the dishes soak in the kitchen sink until Monday. I have learned after spending my whole life in the pastor's family (my dad is a pastor) the importance of choosing rest and renewal in my life. Even on Sundays ... and I think that attitude and decision have kept me from getting weighed down by the ugliness of ministry and "church people."

LaVonne February 8, 2010 at 1:51 PM  

Sometimes life is lonely here too. Now that my baby is a toddler we can interact and play together, but I often crave interaction with adult women. So if it gets too lonely I will read and comment on all my favorite blogs or hop on facebook to connect with old friends. I do call my mom a lot and chit chat. Or, I will just pull out a good book (since have a child I am so behind on reading!).

bashtree February 9, 2010 at 10:47 PM  

I often have huge blocks of time - generally in the evenings - all to myself. I usually find myself turning to very quiet things - reading, or cuddling with the dogs (puppies forever!) with a favorite CD playing, or even knitting. Occasionally I might find an online episode of a favorite tv show that my husband has zero interest in watching. I try NOT to let myself think about all the things I *should* be doing, instead!

Angela De Souza March 1, 2010 at 12:41 PM  

I love the very occasional moments I get alone. This is the only time I get to be home alone with God! I know that might sound wierd but I love having some free time just to hang out in God's presence - I usually sing or dance like a 6 year old (I am not a dancer so really is like a 6 year old) or just have a good old chat with my Daddy in heaven. I get so few opportunities to do that sort of thing that I really love it when I get that special moment.

With 4 children & a husband who works from home my time with God is usually rushed reading my Bible or praying while the house is noisy & busy with all sorts of activity going on. So I love time at home alone - even if it is just to soak up the sounds of silence :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

FACEBOOK FANS

CLUTCHtalk on Facebook

GET YOUR FAN BUTTON


Copy and Paste Code

READERS

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP