don't blow it!

>> February 2, 2010


Oftentimes in ministry it is easy to get stirred up and angry. As women we often go through our day working in our offices, changing diapers, and figuring out when we can get the next thirty things done on our to-do list.

With our crazy, busy lives we often end up with a short fuse and hurt the ones we love because we have exhausted ourselves to the point of becoming a snapping turtle. Yup, biting everyone’s head off. I have to admit that I can be an angry woman sometimes. Does that hurt me? Absolutely.

I find myself upset at the silliest things and able to pacify a smile to everyone I come across. However, pretending to all of them that I'm a peaceful woman can only last so long. Once I snap, my poor babies and husband look at me like a firecracker just went off. I find myself anxious and angry and looking in the mirror asking myself is this what God wants of me? Is this how he wants me to behave? Ask yourself the same thing; it stings.

Ephesians 4:26 says "In your anger do not sin." So does this give me permission to be angry and upset? I almost got a smile but then I decided there had to be more to do this and I must be missing something. So I decided that yes, I can be angry as long as I'm not sinning... how long do you think that can really last? My thoughts exactly!

Sometimes you just have to walk away from your anger. Jesus did. In Exodus we find him telling Moses to take the Israelites into the land flowing of milk and honey, but He also said "but I will not go with you." He called them stiff-necked people whom He might destroy if He goes. So even Jesus knew that sometimes you just have to walk away.

Ephesians 4:26-27 goes on to say "do not let the sun go down while you’re still angry, and do not give the devil a foothold." First Peter 5:8 talks about the devil roaming around like a roaring lion... waiting to devour you! It also says "be self-controlled and alert." If you are sinning in your anger then your self-control is gone. Lions hunt at night. Hmm maybe that is why we are instructed not to let the sun go down on our anger, because He knows the devil will be hunting for us in our sleep.

Sometimes you just need to proclaim Psalm 4:8 over yourself before you go to sleep."I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone o' Lord, make me dwell in safety."

Sing in the morning! "I will sing of your strength, in the morning I will sing of your love; for you are my fortress, my refuge in time of trouble."

So today I invite you, when you feel that short fuse being lit up, to remember what the word of God tells us.

I may not like the circumstance or have control over it but I will not sin in my anger, and I will walk away and not give the devil a foothold. I will cling to His safety and sing of His love in the morning!
--
Rachael


© CLUTCH, 2010 unless otherwise sourced.
Use allowed by express written permission only.
Tweets, trackbacks, and link sharing encouraged.

7 comments:

Melody February 2, 2010 at 8:26 AM  

Thanks for the encouragement from the Word, Rachael. I'm guilty of flipping my lid at times.....of course never in front of church people though. I was at Walmart this week and was infuriated at Sophie's sassy attitude and bent down to her eye level and said, "That attitude has got to go DOWN THE TOILET right now. I'm sick and tired of hearing the whine!" I stood up straight only to turn around and look eye to eye with a church member who had watched the whole angry ordeal go down. Niiiiiiice! Good post, my friend!

Sarah @ CLUTCH February 2, 2010 at 9:06 AM  

Great first post, Rachael! Stupid drivers are one of my personal pet peeves, and I often find myself fuming when I'm on the road and someone is driving badly. Sometimes I'm eager to retaliate or show my frustration back at them, but I drive a very noticeable lime green vehicle, and I just know that if I let go and express it, it'll end of being a church member. And there's no way my car will let me be anonymous. So I guess it's good accountability for me!!

Tanya February 2, 2010 at 1:27 PM  

You mean I'm not the only one who loses it?!? Thanks for the encouragement.

Bless you.

Sara Milby,  February 2, 2010 at 3:47 PM  

oh my.. just what i need to read! i am exactly in your shoes. thank you rachael for showing the ladies that we arent the only ones to sweat over small things. thanks for the encouragement... keep it up in ur ministry by helping women with their daily lives. =) Gods soooo good!

~The Harrison Family~ February 2, 2010 at 5:24 PM  

Good word Rachael and I have been there many times after many sleepless nights with the babies and have known I need to get in the Word at those times and ask God to help me! Thanks for being honest - God bless your sweet heart.

Anonymous,  February 4, 2010 at 5:42 AM  

Great post and thanks for all of the encouraging scriptures to go with it. I look forward to reading more!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

FACEBOOK FANS

CLUTCHtalk on Facebook

GET YOUR FAN BUTTON


Copy and Paste Code

READERS

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP